Thursday 22 May 2014

Ahoy hoy!

I know, I know! My productivity knows NO BOUNDS!!!
First of all I write a manifesto of a make a week and then I break it almost immediately. If nothing else, I am HELLISH good at procrastinating.
For the record it has been a mentally hectic year. We are now located 150 miles West of Brighton in the slightly larger city of Bristol. This is AWESOME and also TERRIFYING. Actually the seeming lack of decent fabric shops here is terrifying... we seem to have a maaaasssive Fabric Land and not much else. Certainly not much else in the way of non-cotton/upholstery fabric shops. Ho Hum, Birmingham is but 90 minutes by train although mentioning that with a slight twinkle in my eye worries Oliver something chronic.
ANYWAY I digress, this is firmly about sewing and definitely NOT an exercise in talking total balls.
Onward.
While I definitely haven't kept to a make a week, I have managed to possibly crack a make a month. Most of these are waiting for a good day to be photographed, but I do have one loooonely item that has been completed.
All HAIL the self drafted Drunken Master Dress :
The name is derived from its inspiration. In this instance Rum and a bad day drove me to finally chopping and sewing . It was surprisingly easy to make. Firstly I traced around an existing vest made of similar fabric, added a seam allowance and cut my top piece at roughly waist length. For my skirt, I did some fancy maths to get a nice amount of gather at the waist... sounding good?
NO. I AM AN ARSE WHO FORGOT HER ARSE.
Seriously.
I have ended up with a maxi dress which skims my posterior..barely and only by luck. Tit.
Even worse, I am using this as a wearable toille for two further dresses which are to be made out of the fabric of the GODS. (I would happily marry my planned fabric and live in a psychedelic world of tie dye forever... but ~I digress) In my own world of INFINITE WISDOM I ordered the beautiful fabric based on my needs for this dress ( I was drunk and it seemed to be going pretty well at the time..... blood alcohol levels were pretty good also)
It turns out this is a firm 2 1/2 meter pattern if done CORRECTLY and I now had two pieces of fabric at 1.5meters long.
I almost cried.
I certainly wavered over a Valium when I went to the Ditto website and saw they were out of stock.
Amazingly Sam at Ditto was Super helpful (and quick, I mean, there was a reply within twenty minuites) and had two remnants left which got from Brighton to Bristol in just over a day. Awesome service there.

You may also notice I have not hemmed the dress. This was due to being so crestfallen about the fit.
Oddly enough I've worn this dress quite regularly since making it, but I blame that on being totally taken by supprise with the British summer . Hot. England. What??

Do you have any top fabric shopping Tips for Bristol?
Have you too even failed to factor in a part of your annatomy?
Answers on a postcard please.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment